Sunday, April 01, 2007

Double Standards

Ok, this is an area I know that I have things to work on, but I see so much of it in churches or "church people." There are many who claim to believe and follow the Word of God, but yet, they do not. Ladies ought to dress like ladies. Would you expect to see a guy in a skirt or dress? NO! So, why then is it not the same with a woman in slacks? How about music? There are things that some would listen to on the way to church, but then make sure it is off when they pull into the parking lot. Then there are the places one would go. Some would just die to been seen in a particular place, but why go there at all then? It's that guilty conscience, some say, but really, it's the Lord working on your heart. Too often, we say "do as I say, not as I do" and think that is good enough.

Why are people afraid of having godly standards? The Bible tells us that we are a peculiar people. I know that if I could change one thing, it would be the decision to honor God with my dress earlier in my life. Now, I can try to argue that I was pretty modest, but it didn't honor God. Now, people argue that a lady wearing slacks is actually more modest for certain activities. Well, think about it: If you have to wear slacks to be modest in a certain activity, should you really be participating in that activity?

Like I said, I know I have areas to work on myself. I'm not thinking of anyone in particular, but just an observation I've had.

No comments: