Saturday, January 21, 2006

I survived!

I came through Betty's winter snowstorm driving unscathed but a little muddy.

Betty is not the world's greatest driver. In fact, this is only her second winter with her license. Scary, I know. She is also quite spastic, especially in certain predicaments. I have accompanied a few driving "firsts" of hers: getting pulled over, backing into a pole, and last night's incident. Here's the story:

We left for our cleaning jobs and it had only been raining. When we arrived at our 3rd account for the night, we were informed of an incoming snowstorm (at that moment, it was still about 2 hours away). We weren't too worried since it usually takes us an hour and a half or so to clean. By the time we finished, it was already snowing, but not too bad, or so it seemed. By the time we made it out to the main drag which would get us home, the snow was falling heavily and visibility was just plain awful. The lines on the road were not even visible due to the accumulation of snow already. She is complaining about the conditions. I watched the snow falling and it was really interesting. We were going into the wind so the snow was coming at us as we went and it looked almost like we were in a sci-fi vortex or something. It was neat. The driver side wiper was not working too well and was leaving the bottom of the windshield as if it hadn't even been touched. Not good for Betty. The road we were on was a divided (mostly by a grassy area) highway with two lanes on each side. As I was looking around, I noticed that we were going to go off the road on the left hand side. "We're going off the road," I said to Betty. She then, thinking we were going off on the right side, jerked the car to the left, into the grassy, muddy median, and thus, getting us stuck. It was a disgusting mess. Betty freaked out. I told her that everything was ok and that she should laugh because it was kind of funny. She laughed, a little. She wanted to call AAA, but I told her we would be waiting for hours if she did that. I then called our dorm mom. She was going to send our dorm dad out to get us. I was not able to give her a definite location of where we were other that off of 49 in the median stuck. I gave her the general whereabouts of out location. In the meantime, there were a few good Samaritans willing to help us. Quite a few folks stopped (and it was 11:30 or 12:00 at night). Not many were able to do much. This guy pulls up and says he has a chain and then tries to locate a spot on the car to hook it up to, but to no avail. Any place he could try to hook it up to would damage the car while pulling it out. Betty is still upset. A police officer only offered to call a tow truck. We denied that offer since Betty could call AAA. Then, this other guy pulls up. He says that he owns his own towing company and had a j-hook chain and a tow rope. He hooks it up and pulls us out. AMEN! We thank him and then call our dorm dad to inform him that someone else was able to get us out. He said ok. The rest of the way home, Betty goes 20 mph and I was her passenger seat driver (not like I never was before ) and I told her if she needed to move left or right. When I told her to go right a little, she said, "Which right?" "The only right there is, Betty," I replied laughing and shaking my head. The only plow out was the one behind us. Sheesh. When we got to our last intersection where we would be turning left, some person passed us on the leftand honked at us like we were doing something wrong. Some people! The Lord kept us safe and in one piece as well as the car. All it needs is a bath!

What a night! And I lived through it to share with others the hazards of Betty's driving skills!

***Disclaimer: Betty knows I joke around a lot and that is what got her through the incident. I by no means intend to hurt her reputation by this blog and she knows I was going to blog about it. I just wanted to do it in my humorous way. ***

God is so good to us. We could have gotten hurt or possibly have spun out or even get into an accident with another vehicle.

Psalm 8:4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalm 144:3LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

Psalm 68:19Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

Hebrews 13:2Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

No comments: